Skip to content

A Note on my Current Whereabouts

June 26, 2013

isolated_dead_shack_by_novenari-d5kye58Those of you who have made the mistake of following me on Twitter may have noticed that things have gone a little quiet.

The reason for this is that, for the second time in under eighteen months, I have moved house. While this move may only taken me ten miles down the road, it has effectively transported me ten years into the past as far as internet connectivity is concerned. My current home is almost impossibly lovely but it is quite a long way from the nearest village and is surrounded entirely by woods and fields meaning that my current connection speed is somewhere in the region of 70-100k/second with very little bandwidth to spare. Though certainly serviceable as far as most online activity is concerned, these speeds mean that I can no longer hang out on social media.

Back when I set up this blog, I asserted my adherence to the principles of the Slow Blogging Manifesto as I felt that my previous experiments in blogging had lured me into the trap of having to provide large amounts of content in an effort to keep my numbers from slipping back down the curve. While I think I’ve done a pretty good job of not running my mouth purely for the sake of running my mouth, I am aware that my desire to keep producing posts had morphed into a desire to remain in synch with each and every emotional convulsion of my Twitter timeline. Given that the technological fates are currently conspiring against me, I have decided to turn my lack of bandwidth into an opportunity and reacquaint myself with a more sedate approach to online interaction.

Should anyone need me (and I’m not sure why they would), I am still on email and will set things up so that my posts are automatically pumped out on twitter but otherwise I’m going to give this whole sitting-in-a-shack-in-the-woods thing a try for a little while and see what comes of it.

12 Comments
  1. June 26, 2013 6:07 pm

I hope you’re devoting at least some of this spare time to some kind of evil-genius type plan.

2. John Lees permalink
    June 26, 2013 7:18 pm

Take care out there.

All the best to you and the wife :-)

3. June 26, 2013 7:39 pm

A completely reasonable thing to do, but you’ll be missed. :)

4. friendlygun permalink
    June 27, 2013 3:02 pm

But Jonathan! You’ve missed several events with a half-life of three minutes!!

Your isolated dead shack looks delightful. Good for introspection or just some old-fashioned murdering.

5. June 27, 2013 7:20 pm

Thanks all :-) I am actually putting my extra headspace to use as I’m reading some pretty decent books. So something will doubtless come of my social media exile :-)

Shaun — Sadly my current abode is not quite as isolated as the one in the photo. I’m in East Hoathly, which is sort of one corner of a triangle with Lewes and Uckfield as the other points. We walked down to the village post office the other day and it was all a bit Archers-ish.

6. June 28, 2013 1:21 pm

I give it six months before I turn the news on and see you, heavily bearded, being led out of your compound by armed police after a lengthy siege.

Try some central European lit while you’re there. There’s some stuff there that I think you’d find very rewarding.

7. June 28, 2013 6:01 pm

Take care man.

In many ways I envy the isolation that your situation has given you and hope that you enjoy the extra time available to you now you don’t have to worry about Twitter & other distractions.

8. scott carpenter permalink
    June 30, 2013 10:11 pm

Are you local?

I hope you still continue to review film, some good stuff on Vinegar Syndrome.

Disengaging from social media will be extremely positive, you will realise how frivolous and transient it all is.

Enjoy the summer.

9. July 1, 2013 8:27 am

Hi Scott,

Everyone is local to somewhere :-) I am currently local to East Hoathly. Due to be moving back to Glynde some time around Xmas time though (hopefully).

I saw that Vinegar Syndrome had re-released some Hershell Gordon Lewis films… as a devotee of exploitation cinema, I shall be checking them out.

10. E. M. Edwards permalink
    July 1, 2013 7:15 pm

I knew the shack in the woods was only a matter of time. I’ve been watching the empty space where you used to be. Wondering when those who got to you would show themselves, or you, having got them instead, would reemerge. And would I know, when either one could be glimpsed, which was which? I suppose it didn’t matter. Just glad you or them survived.

11. RJ Barker permalink
    July 5, 2013 4:25 pm

This is a rubbish idea. I can only forgive you if this involves some form of axe based plan. In which case I’ll let you off.

12. July 5, 2013 8:27 pm

Awww… I miss you too RJ ;-)

Comments are closed.